I don’t know about you, but I love granola bars. However, while I love granola bars in general, I never love everything that’s in them. I always find myself wishing this wasn’t in there or this was, so I just decided to search the wide open web to find a basic recipe where I could fill in the blanks to my heart’s content. And I found one and I love it, so I felt I should share.
Homemade Chewy Granola Bars
1/2 cup peanut butter or sunbutter
1/3 cup honey
1/4 cup coconut oil (or another oil of your choice)
1 1/2 cup oats, toasted if desired
1 cup total of any combination of nuts, seeds, dried fruit, or sweet things
1. In a medium sized sauce pan, melt together peanut butter, honey, and oil.
2. Remove from heat and add oats.
3. Choose your favorite combination of nuts, seeds, dried fruit, or sweet things that equal up to one cup TOTAL. Pour in and stir well.
4. Spread mixture into a 8×8 or 9×4 pan.
5. Chill for two hours, then cut into bars. Wrap in plastic for a quick snack.
There you go! A relatively easy granola bar recipe ripe for personalization. I like tons of variety, so my one cup combination is always a mixture of dried cranberries and apricots, peanuts, almonds, pecans, and chocolate chips. It’s a lot to fit into one little bar, but darned if it doesn’t work. As I said before, though, the basic recipe is not my own, so you can find the source below. Hope you enjoy!